As opposed to pure silver, the term “sterling” indicates that this kind of jewelry is a mixture of silver as well as other metals, usually copper. The amount of silver in sterling silver pieces is typically around 92.5 percent, with the remaining 7.5 percent being copper or other alloys.
Sterling silver jewelry is popular because it is durable and still has the beautiful luster of pure silver. It is also affordable and easy to care for. Sterling silver pieces can be found in many different styles and designs that are suitable for everyday wear or special occasions. Keep reading to learn more about its history.
The history of sterling silver can be traced back to the seventh century BC.
The history of sterling silver can be traced back to the seventh century BC when Greeks and Phoenicians used this metal to make jewelry, coins, and other decorative objects. Later on, in the 18th century, sterling silver was then used for tableware and other household items. Today, sterling silver is widely used in jewelry because of its beautiful appearance and durable quality.
The name “sterling” derives from the Old English “sterling,” meaning “little star.” The British Royal Mint began striking sterling coins in 1478. In the 17th century, silversmiths introduced coin edges to prevent clipping or shaving of precious metal. Sterling silver is harder than other metals used in jewelry but it can still be damaged if not cared for properly.
There are many different types of silver jewelry to choose from, including rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings.
There are many different styles of sterling silver accessories available, including rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. Rings are often made with gemstones or with a design that wraps around the entire band. Necklaces can be simple chains or include pendants or charms. Bracelets come in a variety of styles, including bangles, cuffs, and link bracelets.
Earrings can be studs, dangles, or hoops, and they are often decorated with gems or other accents. Many people choose sterling silver jewelry because it does not require as much care as gold jewelry does. Sterling silver can tarnish over time, but this can easily be cleaned with a polishing cloth. It is also important to keep sterling silver away from harsh chemicals and moisture, which can damage the metal over time.
It’s easy to maintain sterling silver jewelry with the proper care instructions.
To keep your sterling silver jewelry looking its best, you should take care to clean and polish it regularly. Use a soft cloth to clean the surface of the jewelry, then polish it with a silver polishing cloth. If your jewelry has gemstones or other decorations, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning those specific materials.
In order to avoid tarnish, store your sterling silver jewelry in a lined box or pouch when not being worn. Also avoid contact with harsh chemicals, such as bleach, which can damage the metal and cause it to tarnish over time. With proper care, your sterling silver jewelry can last for many years.
The history of sterling silver jewelry is important because it is a reflection of the changing styles and tastes of the people over time. It is also a valuable and durable material that has been used for centuries to create beautiful pieces of jewelry.
Those who love sterling silver pieces can enjoy unique styles and go for a layered look or keep it simple. It’s an easy way to level up an outfit without having to splurge for a pure silver piece.